|All residences south of James Street, including both sides of James Street, Wall Street, all of North and South West Street including the west ends of Hudson, Prospect and Clinton Streets, as well as Burgett, Bedford, Miller, Brentwood, Suits, Stanford, Ferndale, Balmoral Way and Phelps Drive.||All residences north of James Street, including Water Street, and all of North and South Main Streets.|
Please note that holidays can affect the trash pickup schedule due to the County Landfill being closed. Changes are published in the Cortland Standard, announced on WXHC 101.5 FM, and posted on the bulletin board on the homepage of this website.
Residential Holiday Pick Up Schedule for 2022
|Week of 1/1/22||No Delay||New Years|
|Week of 5/30/22||All Pickups One Day Delay||Memorial Day|
|Week of 7/4/22||All Pickups One Day Delay||Independence Day|
|Week of 9/5/22||All Pickups One Day Delay||Labor Day|
|Week of 11/24/22||Thursday + Friday One Day Delay||Thanksgiving|
|Week of 12/25/22||No Delay||Christmas|
|Week of 1/1/2023||No Delay||New Years|
Trash Collection Rules & Procedures
For trash and recycling services in the Village of Homer:
- For Syracuse Haulers to pick up trash or recycling, the lid of the container must close.
- All trash and recyclables must be placed at the curb, or in an area that has been cleared near the street, curb, or driveway by 6 A.M. on your scheduled pick-up day. Cans can be put out the night before regular pick up. Trash and Recycling cans must not be placed in the road.
- Empty cans need to be removed from curbside within 24 hours of scheduled pick-up day or fines can be charged.
- Trash and recyclables will be picked up by Syracuse Haulers at any time on one’s scheduled day.
- Trash is defined as anything that is generated normally within a household during a week’s time. Trash does not include white goods, electronics, TVs, computers, small appliances, carpeting, building supplies, furniture (such as-mattresses, couches, recliners, tires & rims, garden & yard debris including tree branches. Items not considered trash must be privately contracted through a local hauler by the resident.
- Trash must be in bags not weighing more than 25 pounds per bag in the black can.
- Trash or recycling that is placed next to the trash or recycling containers will not be picked up. These items outside the containers must be privately contracted through a local hauler at the resident’s expense.
- Recycling should be loose and not placed in plastic bags. Cardboard boxes must be broken down to fit in green recycle bin with the lid closed.
- Any glass material is to be placed in the Trash bins as it is not recyclable. Residents can bring glass to the Cortland County recycling center at 137 Pendleton St. Cortland (607) 753-5191.
- If a trash or recycling bin is damaged, call the Village Office at 607-749-3322 to arrange for either a repair or replacement.
- If trash or recycling is not picked up, and all guidelines were followed, call the Village Office at 607-749-3322 to discuss the issue as soon as possible.