The first cemetery association in Homer was formed in 1847, called the Rural Cemetery Association. Early burials took place where the Homer Elementary School now stands. However, most of these early burial remains were later removed to the current location of Glenwood Cemetery at the corner of Routes 281 and 90.
In 1862, the Glenwood Cemetery Association was incorporated and the Association began the process of laying out the grounds, planting trees and building roads. The inscription on a plaque mounted on the boulder at the corner entrance to Glenwood Cemetery reads:
“Glenwood was opened and named in the year of 1867 by Paris Barber 1814-1876, a public spirited citizen of Homer New York.”
James P. Toolan
51 S. West Street
Homer, NY 13077
Cemetery Office: (607)-662-3032
Village Office: (607) 749-3322
- Rusty McLaughlin
- James Toolan Sr.
- Jr. Reddick